Unilateral and bilateral elements

Bilateral elements

The impedance offered by the bilateral elements is same for either direction of the current flow. The volt-ampere (V-I) characteristics of bilateral elements are symmetrical on I and III quadrants or on II and IV quadrants. The typical V-I characteristics of bilateral elements
can as shown in the figure.
characteristics of passive elements
V-I characteristics of bilateral elements

Examples: Resistors, Inductors and capacitors

Unilateral elements

The impedance offered by the unilateral elements differs for currents flowing in either direction. They offer high impedance when current in one direction and low impedance when the current direction reverses. The V-I characteristics of unilateral elements are unsymmetrical on I and III or II and IV quadrants as can be observed from the figure.
Unilateral elements
Typical characteristics of unilateral elements
Example: Diodes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Here

X

Enter you Email adddress to receive Free Newsletter to your Inbox