Tellegen’s theorem


Tellegen’s theorem statement

The Tellenen’s theorem states that the algebraic sum of powers in a network is zero. Where the powers delivered by the active elements are taken as negative and the power consumed at the passive elements is taken as positive or vice versa. Alternatively it can be explained as
the sum of power delivered in all branches of a lumped network is equal to the power absorbed in the network.

i.e Σ VKIK=0

where k is the number of elements in the network

Explanation of Tellegen’s theorem

Consider the following circuit having two sources and two resistors.
Circuit for explaining Tellegen's theorem
Circuit for Tellegen's theorem 

Let I1, I2, I3 be the branch currents. Then,
The power delivered by the voltage source is PV=VI1
The power delivered by the current source is PI=V2I
The power absorbed by the resistor R1 is PR1=V1I1
The power absorbed by the resistor R2 is PR2=V2I2

By applying the tellegen’s theorem,
Power delivered= Power absorbed

⇒ PV+PI = PR1+ PR2

(or)

PV+PI-PR1-PR2=0

⇒ VI1+ V2I -V1I1- V2I2=0

Also Read:
Thevenin's theorem

Reciprocity theorem

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Here

X

Enter you Email adddress to receive Free Newsletter to your Inbox